What have we done this week?
This was a slower week after all the activity last week. We did a lot of research and worked on our gear.
- Loads of research on Peru so we can try and decide what we might like to do in the ten days between finishing the Inca Trail and meeting up with Kat’s parents in Ecuador. 7 hr bus ride to Lake Titicaca to hang out on the floating islands? Hike into a canyon and look for condors? Ride the most dangerous road in the world? They’re all possibilities. If you have any suggestions, let us know!
- Sleepsacs came and have been tested. We ordered ones from Cocoon because they can be used separately (for those times when we’re stuck with twin beds) or zipped together if we have a double bed. Our pack towels came as well and we’re testing them now.
- Did some test packing. Decided we needed more small packing cubes, so we ordered more.
- Working on getting second passports, so we can have one to keep with us while we send off the other one for visas. More on this coming soon.
- Researching visas for China and India, which both need to be applied for in advance from our home country. This means we need to apply for them now as we can’t do it once we’re on the road.
- Researched banks with no foreign transaction fees. Since these fees can add up to $100’s – $1,000’s while we’re on the road, we want to go with a bank that doesn’t charge them. We’ve narrowed it down to a handful and will have more info for you in the next coming weeks.
- Purchased this visual dictionary for those times when we don’t speak the language, which will be often on this trip
- Kathy had her last day of work and is now focusing on preparation & packing up our lives full time.
Things to do in the next week:
- More vaccinations – the final round – we’re down to one final rabies and 2 japanese encephalitis shots each.
- Work with our travel doc on the malaria maps & other medical prep for our trip
- Post a gear list
- Purchase tickets for Peru
- Send in applications for second passports
- Research Chile – figure out what we might want to see & do while we’re there
- More hiking!
- Spend more time with you, yes, all of you fabulous people whom we will miss when we’re gone!
A slower week progress-wise, but we still feel like we’re staying on top of everything.
Got any suggestions, ideas, contacts you’d like to share? We’d love to hear them!